Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Let's start again.

It has been my intention to continue writing one of the two blogs I have already started. Both of those blogs were created with old work-or-school related email addresses and have been unavailable to me. Of course, this is mostly just an excuse as I could probably find some way of switching email addresses, but I couldn't be bothered. One of them needed a change-of-address form faxed in--forget that noise.

The other blog was more oriented around my former position as a classroom teacher. Now that I am no longer teaching, I feel like an impostor using an education blog. So now I am creating a new blog. I can put it off no longer. For posterity's sake, I am posting some of my former blog entries on this blog. I did that first, so they would appear below this one. In order to stem confusion, I also posted the date on which they were originally composed.

Six months have passed since I moved to California from Maryland. I don't know how to describe how it's been so far. The stress of moving--leaving career, friends, family, and a city I love--has probably triggered a defense mechanism in my brain that numbs reality enough to make days pass more quickly or, rather, unnoticed. This has been exacerbated by the lack of steady work or friends to help pass the time.

Since moving here, I was lucky to work as a trainer for an educational technology company called Promethean. Since I had experience using Promethean products in my classroom and helped with professional development at my old school, I got the recommendations necessary to land me the job. Unfortunately, it is contracted and the workload is feast or famine. Lately, famine has been the word. While the depleted bank account is definitely difficult to endure, it's the lack of busy days that has really stunted me. I don't know whether or not I'm experiencing depression, but I am definitely have had the lethargy and lack of motivation symptomatic of that ailment. So many days have passed where I am too out of it to do anything or even realize the hours are ticking by. This is a huge reason I need to attempt to keep up with a blog. I need to give my days some substance.

I've joined a writing group to help perk me up a bit. We have had three meetings and, so far, it's given me something to look forward to. I have also considered volunteering with some organization. There's one in downtown San Diego where I can tutor adults who can't read. I think I would enjoy that. I also need to get another job, or at least a supplemental one. The search has failed to yield anything promising; in fact, it's been dreadful. Of course, I don't need to tell that to anyone else who is also trying to find work right now.

In the meantime, hopefully I can deliver on my promise to myself to contribute to this blog. I feel better even now, having gotten this much out in the open.

On a last note, I did want to draw attention to my having retained the title of my old blog. The reason for the title is in direct opposition to my feelings of frustration. I will post my old greeting, as well. Look for more optimistic entries in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment